St. Michael’s Country Day School is a secular, independent Preschool (age 3) to 8th grade day school in Newport, RI. St. Michael’s Country Day School provides a dynamic curriculum that is built on excellence and inspires students to:
Learn with confidence • Lead with character • Achieve lasting success
Academic Dean 23-24 School Year
SMCDS seeks an experienced, innovative and enthusiastic educator to serve as the Academic Dean. The Academic Dean serves as the chief curricular and instructional leader of the School, reports to the head of school, supervises the faculty and works in close partnership with the dean of students and other members of the administrative team.
Over the past three years, St. Michael’s has experienced significant growth in enrollment, and with it, the opportunity to expand on its already strong programming. The School managed the pandemic extremely well, holding in-school classes throughout each of the past two years. The School’s recently published strategic plan calls for an improved campus, new and enhanced programming, and calls for attention to supporting and growing an already strong faculty cadre.
The Academic Dean will be at the center of the work regarding the evolution of programs and the development of faculty. The School seeks a leader who is forward thinking in their approach to teaching and learning, with an interest in supporting and leading teachers in developing engaging and challenging curriculum with authentic connections to the world beyond the school walls.
Experience with implementing project based and/or place based learning is important.
The Academic Dean will be tasked with a full examination of the School’s curricular programming, with an eye toward vertical alignment and to look for areas where the curriculum needs to be updated. From there, the academic dean will work with the head of school to determine resources (professional development, etc.) needed to move the School’s program forward, in line with the mission and with an eye toward creating a school that prepares students for success in their next academic step, but also making sure students are, as the mission states, “world ready.”
This is a tremendous opportunity for a leader who is passionate about mission focused curriculum and instruction and interested in further developing and implementing a forward-thinking vision in an established and thriving school.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Academic Dean role at SMCDS is an integral member of the senior administrative team. Specific responsibilities are likely to include:
Overseeing all aspects of curriculum, instruction, and assessment, building and sustaining a coherent academic program, inclusive of academics, arts, and PE, grades T-8; Staying up to date on current conversations and evolving best practices in curriculum and pedagogy, serving as a thought leader and advocating for change, while being mindful of the day-to-day realities of faculty and the value of important school traditions; Serving as a spokesperson for the academic program to both internal and external audiences; Collecting data and feedback to allow for continuous assessment and improvement of curriculum and instruction; Partnering with the Dean of Students to ensure the academic program is fully aligned with the school’s mission and values. Hiring, onboarding, support, supervision, evaluation of faculty; Promoting a culture of growth by designing and leading effective school-wide professional development; Spearheading the AISNE accreditation process (scheduled for 2026-27); Working with the head of school to support the transition of 8th grade students to secondary schools.
Qualifications and Personal Attributes
The ideal candidate(s) will offer most or all of the following qualifications and qualities:
- Deep appreciation for St. Michael’s mission to develop courageous learners and caring citizens who are world ready.
- Experience as a curricular leader and instructional leader, ideally with experience that spans the toddler through grade 8 range;
- Classroom teaching experience and a track record of supporting and developing teaching faculty;
- A flexibility and collaborative spirit necessary to partner and compromise with members of the senior administrative team for the smooth functioning of the School;
- Personal and professional commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and the requisite skills to support critical conversations in the design of ever more inclusive culture, curriculum, pedagogy, and programs;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate orally and in writing with inspiration and clarity to both internal and external audiences;
- A relational leadership style built on approachability, transparency, and responsiveness;
- The ability to articulate vision and strategy, the tactical skills necessary to deftly manage the
- systems and processes necessary to implement strategy, the organizational fluency to manage
- multiple streams of information and respond to situations as they emerge;
- Experience recruiting, hiring, supporting, retaining, and leading talented, diverse, and mission-aligned faculty;
- The ability to navigate complexity, in part through effective prioritization, delegation, and
- management of systems;
- The confidence and humility to advocate for and embrace new ideas, invite disagreement, and welcome feedback; and a style characterized by warmth, optimism and a sense of humor.
Interested candidates should submit electronically in one email and as separate documents
(preferably PDFs) to email@example.com the following materials:
- A cover letter expressing interest in this particular position
- A current resume
- A list of five professional references with name, phone number and email address of each.
(References will not be contacted without the candidate’s permission)
Director of Summer Camp
The person selected for this role will take the reins of an established program and will have the opportunity to build upon it. This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to build their resume or apply their administrative leadership and organizational skills. While there is a certain amount of work to be done during the school year in preparation, the bulk of the time on the job is during the summer months. I believe this is a job that can be done by a teacher who is comfortable in their teaching role and able to make time for, and balance, an additional workload. The pay is competitive.
With camp season approaching, the job would begin very soon. If you are interested in the position, please send resume and cover letter to Walter Landberg.
Openings for school year 2022/23
In anticipation of increased enrollment, the school is currently seeking candidates for the following positions for the 2022-23 school year. If interested, please submit a cover letter and resume here.
Substitute Teachers (All Grades)
Extended School Day Aide (All grades)
3-5 PM with a flexible schedule
St. Michael’s Country Day School has an institutional commitment to the principles of diversity. In that spirit, the School believes that each individual is entitled to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local anti-discrimination laws.