MISSION & PHILOSOPHY
St. Michael’s Country Day School provides a dynamic curriculum that is built on excellence and inspires students to:
At St. Michael’s Country Day School, we believe that the foundations of human character are formed at a young age and that our ability to inspire these character traits will determine the future success of our students, our community, and our world. Learn more about our Traits for Success.
We are a learning community that:
- Embraces the principle that Persistence is at the core of every successful endeavor;
- Encourages our students to be Attentive and to focus on goals and that draw from personal strengths and passions;
- Empowers our students to live a life of Courage by being risk takers, innovators, and leaders who are willing to stand up for what is right;
- Values Flexibility as the foundation for critical thinking, creativity, and problem solving;
- Prepares our students to become Responsible global citizens and confident communicators;
- Instills confidence and the value of critical self-reflection through Organization;
- Broadens our student’s awareness of the world as they Collaborate in a community of inclusion, tolerance, equity, and justice;
- Inspires students to find joy in learning and to approach all challenges with a Positive Attitude;
- Nurtures empathy, compassion, and a lifelong commitment to community service through acts of Generosity;
This mission and philosophy statement is overseen by the Board of Trustees working cooperatively with the school community.
TRAITS FOR SUCCESS
Traits for Success At the highest level of curriculum development, we search for ways to guide children to take full advantage of the many challenges and opportunities provided to them.
At St. Michael’s Country Day School, we ask that teachers, parents, students and administrators demonstrate “Traits for Success.” Research indicates that these character traits play the most significant role in enabling students to achieve success in school and in later life. Such factors as reading levels, affluence, grades, and I.Q. do not correlate as highly with eventual success as Organization, Attentiveness, Courage, Generosity, Persistence, Positive Attitude, Flexibility, Collaboration, and Responsibility.
Each Trait for Success is emphasized throughout the curriculum and during monthly school-wide Assemblies.
September : Organization
I plan ahead. I have places for everything. I’m ready to learn.
I focus on important things.
November : Courage
I am willing to stand up for what is right. I challenge myself.
December : Generosity
I give of myself to others. I act with empathy.
January : Persistence
I keep trying in the face of adversity.
February : Positive Attitude
I can do it!
March : Flexibility
I try new ideas and different methods.
Click HERE to download the Traits for Success