Summer is an ideal time for children to immerse themselves in reading. During this vacation we hope your child reads often choosing from a wide variety of high-quality materials from many different genres: picture books, chapter books, historical fiction, non-fiction, magazines, graphic novels, poetry, fantasy, science fiction and the list goes on…
Summer Reading Activities
Recommended Books: We recommend that students entering grades 1-4 read at least 3 books over the summer.
Book Log: Students should keep track of their summer reading using the book log provided and bring the log to school in the fall to share with their class.
Book Review Activity: Students should complete a book review of one of the books they read this summer using the form included in this packet and bring this form to school in the fall.
There are many ways for your child to access high quality books:
• Most libraries including the Newport, Middletown and Portsmouth Public Libraries are open for in-person browsing.
• Digital books can be checked out using the Ocean State Library E-Zone. Simply log on with your library card number and then select and download a book to the device of your choice.
• Paper or digital books can be ordered from Amazon and Barnes and Noble.
• Students can reread favorite books that they already have at home.
• Students may read and listen to books using:
To help you and your child select books, we have provided a summer reading list of titles that can be found online or at your local library or bookstore. In addition, here are links to the Rhode Island Children’s Book Award nominees for 2021 (https://olis.ri.gov/youth/ricba/winners.php) compiled by the State of Rhode Island Office of Library and Information Sciences and the 2021 Notable Children’s book list (www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/notalists/ncb) published by the American Library Association. Please note that these lists are only suggestions to help you get started. You and your child should feel free to choose any titles that are of interest, not just the ones on these lists.
Thank you for participating in our summer reading program! Have a fabulous vacation filled with outdoor fun and lots of books!
Lower School Reading Specialist