AT A GLANCE
At a Glance
First and foremost in Newport, Aquidneck Island, and southeast Rhode Island, SMCDS is proud to offer an extraordinary program and welcomes the regional community to get to know us better. The statistics below are cited to only whet your appetite for getting to know us. By all means, please reach out and contact us, and we’ll make sure you have all the answers to your questions. – Erin Schmidt, Director of Admissions
- Preschool 3 year olds through 8th Grade
- 191 students enrolled for 2016-2017 School Year
- 50 new students enrolled in fall 2016, from 9 cities across Rhode Island as well as international families
- International families have come here from Germany, Netherlands, Norway, and Kuwait.
- Average class size is 10 students in Early Childhood, 12 in Lower School; 16 in Middle School
- 55 full time faculty and staff; more than half hold advanced degrees
- 1:1 iPads for students grades 3 through 8; All students have access to iPads, laptops, green screen, and Smart Table
- 7 Acre campus including two playgrounds, two sports fields, and outdoor basketball courts
- 2 Middle School science labs
- 1 computer lab with graphic design software
- Early childhood and Lower School science specialist and designated science lab
- Two arts studios, and ceramics studio with potter’s wheel and kiln for students
- Staffed library with 6,000 volumes, automated on-line databases, reading nook, and seminar presentation room.
- Full gym and interscholastic sports for grades 5-8
- Full stage and drama, theater, technical theater, and stage crew
- Full time nurse
- Over $1,000,000 worth of tuition assistance dollars dispersed in 2015-2016 admissions process to over 90 families
- Recent state award-winning students for Ghandi Essay and Stock Market Challenge
- Top-notch placement into independent day and boarding programs, as well as honors and traditional programing at public schools.