AT A GLANCE
At a Glance
“The great thing about St. Michael’s is how inviting it is. The connections students have with their teachers and friends are something to be treasured. St. Michael’s has given me room to grow and become who I am.” – SMCDS current student, Class of 2015
First and foremost in Newport, Aquidneck Island, and Southeast Rhode Island, SMCDS is proud to offer an extraordinary program and welcomes the regional community to get to know us better. The statistics below are cited to only whet your appetite for getting to know us. By all means, please reach out and contact us, and we will make sure you have all the answers to your questions. – Cheers, Stephen Bennhoff, Director of Enrollment Management
- Founded in 1938 as part of the Episcopal Diocese of Rhode Island to serve all families in the Greater Newport community. In 1976 St. Michael’s left the Trinity community to become an independent, non-sectarian day school. Families today come from a wide range of religious, socio-economic and diverse backgrounds
- Preschool 3 year olds through 8th Grade
- 207 students enrolled for 2014-2015 School Year
- 48 new students enrolled in fall 2014, from 9 cities across Rhode Island as well as families from Germany, Netherlands, Norway, and Kuwait.
- Average class size is 10 students in Early Childhood, 12 in Lower School; 16 in Middle School
- 55 full time faculty and staff; more than half hold advanced degrees
- 1:1 iPads for students grades 3 through 8; All students have access to iPads, laptops, green screen, and Smart Table
- 7 Acre campus including two playgrounds, two sports fields, and outdoor basketball courts
- 2 Middle School science labs
- 1 computer lab with graphic design software
- Early childhood and Lower School science specialist and designated science lab
- Two arts studios, and ceramics studio with potter’s wheel and kiln for students
- Staffed library with 6,000 volumes, automated on-line databases, reading nook, and seminar presentation room.
- Full gym and interscholastic sports for grades 5-8
- Full stage and drama, theater, technical theater, and stage crew
- Full time nurse
- Over $1,000,000 worth of tuition assistance dollars dispersed in 2015-2016 admissions process to over 90 families
- Recent state award-winning students for Ghandi Essay and Stock Market Challenge
- Top-notch placement into independent day and boarding programs, as well as honors and traditional programing at public schools.